What's new

I was surprised by how cheap our new windshield was

Aeromot

Superior Pilot
We just got a new Cee Bailey's windshield (clear, but the thicker one) for our 172F and it was just $472, which is just slightly more than what I was quoted for my car. Of course, that was a big national chain of car-windshield installers, and I ended up paying about half of that at a local place that did it the same afternoon rather than in 3 weeks. The plane's windshield hasn't been installed yet but I know it's labor-intensive, so I expect a big bill when he does it in the fall.

Looking at the site, it seems the price may have already gone up by $10:

Our 172F went to the shop today to have the windshield installed. Our IA spends summers in Alaska and just returned.

Installation is a huge job. To get at the nuts on the backs of all those screws, he has to remove the instrument panel. It's going to be expensive, but I wouldn't want to do it. It will make the plane seem almost like new with the new IO-370 engine and constant-speed prop and the GI-275s installed earlier this year.

I replaced the windshield when I repainted the plane, along with all new Stene fiberglass wingtips, fairings, etc. The labor cost was tied all together with everything else, so I dunno what it would cost just for windshield alone.

But I'll never forget that first flight with the new windshield - what a big improvement! It put the V back into VFR, so much better visibility not only for safety but also for sightseeing enjoyment.

Windshields usually degrade so incrementally, it's easy to defer year after year not realizing how bad it's gotten and what a big improvement a new one will make.

Our old one was beginning to craze and though it wasn't a problem yet, but on previous planes I have seen the crazing increase quickly once it starts.

I replaced the windshield when I repainted the plane, along with all new Stene fiberglass wingtips, fairings, etc. The labor cost was tied all together with everything else, so I dunno what it would cost just for windshield alone.

But I'll never forget that first flight with the new windshield - what a big improvement! It put the V back into VFR, so much better visibility not only for safety but also for sightseeing enjoyment.

Windshields usually degrade so incrementally, it's easy to defer year after year not realizing how bad it's gotten and what a big improvement a new one will make.
Gives us something to really look forward to

The shop just called. The windshield is installed; only 13 hours.

ONLY 13 hours..

Top Bottom