What's new

Asheville NC and the Biltmore Estate

GMascelli

Solo Cross Country
Mary and I decided on a quick hop just to get away for our 19th wedding anniversary. We have had Asheville NC, more specifically, the Biltmore Estate on our list for some time. The link to my blog post and video is listed below.

We did have a fun time exploring the Biltmore estate. Everything is so well preserved, period correct, and maintained beautifully. So many fun facts about the estate, the wooded area around the mansion and Vanderbuilt's contributions to the local area. The landscaper Vanderbuilt hired, Gifford Pinchot, went on to oversee this new agency, Bureau of Forestry, as its first Chief, charged with caring for the newly renamed national forests under president Teddy Roosevelt.

BLOG & VIDEO LINK

Nice! Always been meaning to get down there

I made the comment on the video. I'm also wondering what happened with the return trip flight plan. Sounds like you accidentally activated your VFR flight plan with a much earlier ETA. That was the first step of SAR. Flight Service checked with ATC (which wouldn't know about the VFR flight plan otherwise) along the proposed route.

PS. What a pain when media craps out. I did a flight to an uncharted private strip the other day and the GoPro overheated and shut down on base! At least you had video!

I think I had to hit the activate when I was trying to refile IFR.

I could not believe the garmin VIRB just shut down. I didn’t change a thing for the ride home and all the cameras worked perfect, and I remembered to turn on the tail tie down camera.

Nice video and write-up, Gary. :)

One question: you said that you landed quite short of where the jet in front of you landed. I've always tried to stay high and land after where a jet (or some fast mover) touched down, in order to avoid wake turbulence. Was there a reason for landing short?

Nice video and write-up, Gary. :)

One question: you said that you landed quite short of where the jet in front of you landed. I've always tried to stay high and land after where a jet (or some fast mover) touched down, in order to avoid wake turbulence. Was there a reason for landing short?
Thanks!

The envoy flight landed well down the runway so I landed and taxied off at midfield.

Thanks. I figured there was a good reason behind it. :)

I could not believe the garmin VIRB just shut down. I didn’t change a thing for the ride home and all the cameras worked perfect, and I remembered to turn on the tail tie down camera.
I'm losing the GoPro 4 that almost always overheats and shuts down at the worst time in favor of my cheap Chinese knockoff which has never let me down.

"Oh, but the GoPro video quality is better!"
"What video?"

I'm losing the GoPro 4 that almost always overheats and shuts down at the worst time in favor of my cheap Chinese knockoff which has never let me down.

"Oh, but the GoPro video quality is better!"
"What video?"

I'm going to start a thread on this topic! :)

Top Bottom