What's new

It's not too late to get tickets for Oshkosh '23

Aeromot

Superior Pilot
We plan to, but we always buy tickets at the gate. They only cost a little bit more, much less than we'd lose if we bought tickets and couldn't get there. The cost of the flight from SoCal doesn't dissuade us. We like long flights.

We plan to, but we always buy tickets at the gate. They only cost a little bit more, much less than we'd lose if we bought tickets and couldn't get there. The cost of the flight from SoCal doesn't dissuade us. We like long flights.
In '21, the wife went with me, and we made quite the vacation out of it. Went up to Mackinac, Chicago, visited friends in Indiana, went back up to WI for some cheese, spent a weekend in Sante Fe. Last summer would have been solo, and I just didn't think I was worth it. ;)

I’m saving up to take the club plane to OSH this year. Went in ‘21 with my kid and it was my first time flying. We had a blast, but I didn't plan it very well and feel like we need to do it again to get it right ;-)

We arrived the Friday before, so none of the convention stuff was open yet. The trams weren't running, very limited buses... We spent 3 very hot days just kind of finding stuff to do. Then I spent most of Monday and Tuesday taking my son to the Kidventure stuff and then the airshow. When we bugged out a day early on Wed. before the big storm, we were a bit spent hadn't actually seen much of the show.

I think this year I'm going to plan on arriving on Wednesday and staying through to the end of the show. This past summer, lots of good spots in the N40 were opening up by then, and the show will be running for the entire time that we're there.

When I saw this thread update I thought "Shoot! I gotta order my passes." Then I saw the savings is only $5 for the weekly pass and thought "It's worth $5 to have EAA hold on to my passes until I get there."

I wonder if the smoke from the Canadian fires will be an issue at Oshkosh...

The last time I flew to Oshkosh (from California) was in 2018. Wildfires throughout the west, including a big fire near my home that expanded while I was at Airventure, made for pretty poor flying conditions for the last several hundred miles (from Utah to Cal). The smoke was sitting at 10,000 feet and below, so we ended up flying home just above the worst of it. Very stressful flying, though, and I wouldn't want to repeat that experience. Unfortunately, it's becoming a normal part of summer these days, at least here in the Western U.S., though this year has been clear so far.

2021 was a bit hazy and smokey as well. Last year the weather was perfect. Cooler temps and no smoke. I really hope it can clear out and cool down the next few weeks ...

I think that part of the widespread smoke coverage is due to the breakup of the jet stream, which has trapped some weather patterns. The long range forecast is that the jet stream is going to get itself organized again in the next week or so, and will hopefully help those weather patterns and the smoke keep moving.

If the AQI is in the unhealthy range, I think I'm going to have to cancel my trip to OSH this year.

Top Bottom