What's new

Just Flying Around

View attachment 12715
Gratuitous image to make people hungry
I have never heard of Brother's Cafe. A bit far from King Salmon, but I might have to find an opportunity to buzz over anyway. Looks amazing. When I am driving through Soldotna either direction I always stop at Odie's, didn't know there was an amazing on-field option.

Misled by an LA Times article touting a superbloom at Anza Borrego State Park, we flew from KSZP to Borrego Springs (L08) to see them. No masses of flowers visible from the air (except in one of the zillions of So Cal. housing subdivisions). Also, their fuel was out of order so we didn’t want to fly around the area too much looking for flower patches. Turned around and headed home with a stop at French Valley (F70) for fuel. Today’s 3.6 hours took me over the 500-hour threshold at last.

Nice view of the San Gabriel Mountains on the way southeast. Desert around L08 looked pretty drab, but the clouds were nice.View attachment 12719
500 hours is a pretty significant moment. Most pilots never get close, it takes some real ongoing engagement in aviation to get there for most people.

Are the flowers still coming or was the bloom already past? Might need to head out and look again every few days I suppose? I remember seeing a lot of flowers on one or another of my Santa Paula stints, but I don't recall anything about the actual calendar dates.

500 hours is a pretty significant moment. Most pilots never get close, it takes some real ongoing engagement in aviation to get there for most people.

Are the flowers still coming or was the bloom already past? Might need to head out and look again every few days I suppose? I remember seeing a lot of flowers on one or another of my Santa Paula stints, but I don't recall anything about the actual calendar dates.
Thanks, Troy. I am nothing if not stubborn.

Flowers probably are still coming. I’ve seen lots of fabulous poppies both in the Antelope Valley reserve and over the Grapevine, as well as around here. Lupine, too. I think i will settle for those rather than flying back to San Diego County

Have been jammed for time with work and some unusual responsibilities at home the last week. Between that and wx, our plane hadn’t been flown for a couple of weeks, so I took it up to move the oil around.

The Mugu controllers were “unable flight following; try again in 15 minutes.” Just when I thought to take a photo I heard the controller tell another plane there was someone she wasn’t talking to at their altitude within two miles. Right, it was me; no flight following, remember. Between traffic and turbulence at the coastline, and having accomplished the oil warming mission, I decided to return to the airport and get back to my land-based deadlines.

So, no photos, but it was one of the most beautiful flights I’ve ever made, if short. It was about 5:30 and “just after a storm” clear. From 4,500 feet I could easily see 25 miles in all directions. The ocean was shining, the hills were green, and at that time of day the sun caught windows and reflectors on the ground perfectly to create colorful little glows.

... So, no photos, but it was one of the most beautiful flights I’ve ever made, if short. It was about 5:30 and “just after a storm” clear. From 4,500 feet I could easily see 25 miles in all directions. The ocean was shining, the hills were green, and at that time of day the sun caught windows and reflectors on the ground perfectly to create colorful little glows.
You've described part of what keeps me flying year after year.

Top Bottom