What's new

Tires

BHarbour

Solo Cross Country
My bird is a 1963 172D and I need to put new mains on it. I have the parts manual, but it doesn't specify which ply tire to get unless I'm missing something. I need to order tires today...what ply tire should I order?

Most places, like Aircraft Spruce, will tell you what to order if you call their sales department.

Bob

Turns out I have up too early...I did find it listed in the book as a 600-6 4 ply.

rkittine" said:
Most places, like Aircraft Spruce, will tell you what to order if you call their sales department.

Bob

Glad you found it. I had new tires put on in my recent annual, but have no clue what they are. I do all my A+P work with my left had only. (I am left handed and that is how I sign the checks!)

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I found the tires at Wag Aero and the lady told me they've had trouble getting tires. Must be so because ACS only had one tire in stock and it was pricey!

I bought the Air Hawk tire.

Any guidance on when to change tires on plane? How do you determine end of life? Is it years since manufacture? Tread depth? observed cracking of the tire material?

Any guidance on when to change tires on plane? How do you determine end of life? Is it years since manufacture? Tread depth? observed cracking of the tire material?
When the tire wears (tread depth, flat spots) or ages (hardens, cracks, calendar), whichever happens first. Student flown tires usually wear out before they age out. Planes flown only occasionally usually age out the tires before they wear out.

I replaced my tires in 2018 when installing a new engine and getting a higher gross weight. 6 years of being tied down outside, 650 hours and nearly 800 landings later they're both aging out and wearing out, ready for replacement.

I have replaced tires mostly because of tread depth, but also because of`cracking (weather-checking) when I had a plane that was parked outside. Some owner prevent weather-checking by putting covers over the tires when parked.

Last edited:
In 2018 I started flying a 172 for a friend who lost his medical but didn't fly this 172 much because he had several other planes he flew.
First thing I saw was sidewall cracking and cracks in the tires tread. I mentioned it to him and he said they had low hours. He was right the log book showed only 9 hours of flight in the prior 10 years. I couldn't find when they were put on but I was sure they were at least 15 years old.
I bought new tires and tubes and put them on. Figured we work it out down the road. It was my butt in the seat.
6 months later I bought it from my friend and have been flying it ever since.
Then I put air hawks on and was happy with them in 2018. I flew the plane like a trainer and got over 2000 landings on them. Never had a flat on the mains, did have a flat on the front one time.
I replaced those because I ran them almost bald.
Couple years ago air hawks were not in stock so ordered Dresser monster retreads. They have a deep tread making them a little taller than a 600-6 tire. They have been very good tire also, tough as nails.
The air hawks lasted me 4 years and well over 2000 landings.
The retreads have been on for 2+ years and I am real happy with them. Will use them again. It a smooth running tire that handles turf landings better than the air hawks.
I will not run my tires that bald anymore because the tread was real thin when I took them off. Not much puncture Resistance when they are that thin IMO.
IMG_1965.JPG

IMG_1893.JPG

Last edited:
I'm still hyperventilating over my new nose tire and tube. Had some shimmy and everything else was fine so changed it out. Over $400 for tire and tube. The tube cost more than the tire??? I guess I've been flying too long and remember "good old days" prices. $12 wet for a NEW C150!! My 40 hour PVT rating cost right at $600!

I'm still hyperventilating over my new nose tire and tube. Had some shimmy and everything else was fine so changed it out. Over $400 for tire and tube. The tube cost more than the tire??? I guess I've been flying too long and remember "good old days" prices. $12 wet for a NEW C150!! My 40 hour PVT rating cost right at $600!
Tell me about it! Your an old dog just like I am...lol

No doubt. For crying out loud - I only pay about $600-$700 for 22.5 tires for my RV and that's a LOT of rubber and steel!

How is the poodle doing? Headed to Sun-N-Fun this year?
Cruiser is hanging in there, 12 years old now and going blind from cataracts but he is still flying with me including last night.
No we are not gonna make it to Sun N Fun this year sadly.

The last episode of Ask The A&P's; "Don't split the case halves" addressed this during the last ~8 minutes of the episode.

Mike said that the guidance from Goodyear et al, says that there is no minimum tread depth, just so long as the cord is not showing. There may be more pertinent information in that few minutes of the episode and more wisdom from elsewhere. I listen to the show on a podcast app, but you can also find it here: https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/podcasts/podcasts/ask-the-a-and-ps

And this was the information about that part of the episode in the description of the episode on my app: "Seth has some dry rot on his tires and he’s wondering if that means he needs to change them. Desser says they need to be replaced when the cord is showing, and his mechanic says the dry rot means it should be changed. The hosts agree with the manufacturer that there’s no minimum tread depth, and to keep going."

Last edited:
It may have gotten to the point where changing the tube every time you change the tire no longer computes.

Top Bottom