What's new

Airport restaurants that are open for takeout during COVID-19

Try Carniceria La Michoacana up the street sometime.

I definitely will do that. While I'm here, let me say that Nancy's Airport Cafe in Willows, CA (KWLW--Willows Glenn county airport) serves a fantastic breakfast. Also, the Tin Goose Diner at the Erie-Ottawa airport in Port Clinton, OH is very good. I have not flown into either of those places. The Willows airport looks to be a lonely Central Valley airport with a restaurant frequented by locals. Erie-Ottawa is a lovely place with lots of greenery--something California pilots are not used to seeing in summer.

Edit: When I posted this I forgot that the thread was actually about places that are open during the C19 kerfuffle. I don't know about either of them, so best call ahead.

Tim

Last edited:
I definitely will do that. While I'm here, let me say that Nancy's Airport Cafe in Willows, CA (KWLW--Willows Glenn county airport) serves a fantastic breakfast. Also, the Tin Goose Diner at the Erie-Ottawa airport in Port Clinton, OH is very good. I have not flown into either of those places. The Willows airport looks to be a lonely Central Valley airport with a restaurant frequented by locals. Erie-Ottawa is a lovely place with lots of greenery--something California pilots are not used to seeing in summer.

Edit: When I posted this I forgot that the thread was actually about places that are open during the C19 kerfuffle. I don't know about either of them, so best call ahead.

Tim
Nancy's at Willows (KWLW) was open and quite busy two weeks ago, but California is tightening up again.

At KBAF Westfield Mass, I just called Sok’s Runway Restaurant. They are open 11:30-9 pm and currently have 6 tables for indoor and several outdoor tables when weather allows. Call (+1 (413) 642-3219) just before departure to determine availability.

Last edited:
3rd of July just got back from a dine-in experience at Bessie's right on the field in Janesville, WI KJVL. First time there but I'll go back again.

Nancy's at Willows (KWLW) was open and quite busy two weeks ago, but California is tightening up again.
We've been planning to go there for the incredibly delicious pie, but temps over 100 have changed our plans to coastal destinations.

This is the time of year that I'll cruise at 8000 feet or so just to keep the cabin temperature comfortable. Descending down it feels like someone turned on the cabin heat even though that is just the fresh air vents…

We've been planning to go there for the incredibly delicious pie, but temps over 100 have changed our plans to coastal destinations.

This is the time of year that I'll cruise at 8000 feet or so just to keep the cabin temperature comfortable. Descending down it feels like someone turned on the cabin heat even though that is just the fresh air vents…

I remember a few decades ago our Scout Troop would do a 3 day trip down the upper Sacramento River (start in Redding) and pull out 80+ miles down the river in Scout built kayaks (and some of us in canoes). With the heat of the valley in the summer that was an 80+ mile running water fight. I still have our son's kayak in the garage and the canoe on the deck below the house.

Sunset Pub & Grill at Lincoln Ppark NJ (N07) is up and running with outside seating (including umbrellas) right on the ramp. Open 7 days, suggest calling ahead.

They were pretty busy today but were still able to handle me midday. I had to be cognizant of my blow back on to the tables when maneuvering for a parking spot on the adjacent ramp.

Had great coconut shrimp at Soks Runway restaurant at KBAF, Westfield, Mass, and was treated to an entre of four F15 fighters taking off while viewing from the outdoor deck. The last one, after his sharp angle departure climb, did a roll to inverted, and then back to upright before going into the deep blue.

BananAppeal will be along to post pix, but the excellent Spirit of San Luis restaurant at KSBP (San Luis Obispo, CA) is open for breakfast and lunch everyday and for dinner Wednesday through Saturday. You can take out or eat on their patio. It's right next to the short-term parking just west of the tower. (Since it's an air-carrier airport, walking out through ACI, the adjacent FBO, will make getting back in a bit easier but the people from the restaurant can let you out if they see you come in. Otherwise they need to see your pilots license to let you back on the ramp.)

BananAppeal will be along to post pix, but the excellent Spirit of San Luis restaurant at KSBP (San Luis Obispo, CA)
This sandwich was great though the photo looks plain: grilled chicken and jack cheese on sourdough (instead of brioche) with avocado and sprouts. Met a friend who enjoyed her chicken taco salad. Service not especially fast, but very nice. Plane was within sight of lunch table.

Attachments

• 31C9D446-6BDA-4127-8126-B3B82A74726D.jpeg
    31C9D446-6BDA-4127-8126-B3B82A74726D.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
And you lose some...

BananAppeal will be along to post pix, but the excellent Spirit of San Luis restaurant at KSBP (San Luis Obispo, CA) is open for breakfast and lunch everyday and for dinner Wednesday through Saturday. You can take out or eat on their patio. It's right next to the short-term parking just west of the tower. (Since it's an air-carrier airport, walking out through ACI, the adjacent FBO, will make getting back in a bit easier but the people from the restaurant can let you out if they see you come in. Otherwise they need to see your pilots license to let you back on the ramp.)
We love the restaurant along with the beautiful cruise down the coast, especially on hot summer days. It's been the better part of a year since we've been there so I'm glad they've reopened!

We fluttered down the coast to Carlsbad Palomar (KCRQ) for lunch at The Landings at Carlsbad restaurant.

It is located on the south side of the runway, just behind the tower, with well marked directions from transient parking. It has a nicely appointed, generously spaced-out patio for dining, with a nice view of the runway. (Unlike the original restaurant at CRQ, this one is downstairs.) There were options for sun or shade. We arrived about noon and found a couple of tables open. Zero, our dog, was welcome, and the owner. Michelle, even spent some time feeding him, so he gives it two dew-claws up.

They use a scanner menu, so you don't have to handle a paper one. Just scan the QR code on the table with your phone or tablet. Both the two-legged members of the party ordered omelets and were impressed. They are not at all stingy with the optional ingredients. The wait staff, except for the owner, seemed a bit harried on this busy day, but our orders were delivered quickly. About half the staff, including the owner, was weak on face-mask protocol, and didn't cover their noses. Overall, though, it was enjoyable.

The airport itself was quite busy. We were No. 7 when we got to the run-up area, with at least as many aircraft inbound.

CRQLand1.jpg

CRQLand2.jpg

At HOC in SW Ohio there is a pretty decent crew car. The airport has an active pilot population and sits right next to Rocky Fork lake with campgrounds and an outdoor worship area directly across the road from the FBO. There are several rural restaurants within a few miles of the field and town itself is 4 miles.

Too much smoke to fly, but my son and I stopped for dinner last night at Nancy’s at KWLW, to test the milkshakes at Aeromot’s request. I had expected takeout only, but they have created two patio areas, so we ate outside.

At 7:30 pm it was not a bad temperature, but there were a couple of flies. Earlier in the day the heat might have made patio dining problematic.

Still, the pulled pork sandwich and Greek salad were very very good, and the strawberry shake was fabulous.
There are motels within a quarter to a half mile, across Interstate 5.DB990614-4FB9-46F0-8BDF-53C9A0C73F2C.jpeg

The Waypoint at Camarillo is approaching pre-COVID levels of business. They appear to be just at the perfect level on weekdays now. They have plenty of spread-out outdoor seating, and, at least today, you didn't have to wait to be seated. We decided to order ahead online (25 minute lead time, but not available on weekends), then made the 10-mile flight from Santa Paula, arriving at 12:30. BananAppeal found the breakfast quesadilla appealing, and I had my usual, the Hickory Burger with turkey patties and a chocolate malt. BananAppeal said the expresso shake wasn't as expresso-y as would have wished. (Zero, the dog, found everything to his liking.)

I know many restaurants have now opened up more fully. One such restaurant at KBAF, Soks Runway restaurant, deserves an update. The restaurant changed hands 2 months ago, and although my favorite coconut shrimp is no longer available, they have great wraps, burgers and, some American but more Asian and Japanese oriented cuisine. They told me that they will be specializing in Sushi in the near future. Unfortunately, the upstairs observation deck is closed because the colder weather, so when the ANG F15s depart during the weekdays and Saturday, you have to get out of your indoor seat to crane your neck when you hear the engines roar down the runway. But otherwise, a very pleasant airport destination.

I know many restaurants have now opened up more fully. One such restaurant at KBAF, Soks Runway restaurant, deserves an update. The restaurant changed hands 2 months ago, and although my favorite coconut shrimp is no longer available, they have great wraps, burgers and, some American but more Asian and Japanese oriented cuisine. They told me that they will be specializing in Sushi in the near future. Unfortunately, the upstairs observation deck is closed because the colder weather, so when the ANG F15s depart during the weekdays and Saturday, you have to get out of your indoor seat to crane your neck when you hear the engines roar down the runway. But otherwise, a very pleasant airport destination.
Glad to hear the restaurant is still open. I've landed there 3 times, the last time was the weekend of Snowmaggedon in late October, 2011. KBAF was closed Saturday until noon Monday. What a mess that was!

The Flight Deck at Salem, OR (KSLE) serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The view of the airport was great, but the ambience was unimpressive otherwise. The food was satisfactory with a wide variety. Take out and patio dining are available.

I updated Post #2, about some SoCal airport restaurants, since everything has changed since it was originally posted

Top Bottom