What's new

Armistice Day

Pilawt

In the Clouds
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Herewith a little story I wrote a couple of years ago about Armistice Day ...

Here's Burl Ives performing the song ...

Herewith a little story I wrote a couple of years ago about Armistice Day ...

Great story, Jeff!

I just read it this morning because, having been born on November 10th, November 11th has always been "my holiday" -- a day free of school to play with my new toys a child, a day to recover from partying as a college student, and a day of mostly relaxation as an older adult. This year, I hosted a dinner party for 35 friends. It was terrific (lots and lots of cooking before and during) but I was thankful for "my holiday" yesterday to relax and slowly clean up the remnants of the party. :)

Here's Burl Ives performing the song ...

As a kid, I loved Burl Ives. I can remember singing along with him on TV with my mother and brothers and sister.

Today, just hearing his voice can bring a smile to my face. :)

As a kid, I loved Burl Ives. I can remember singing along with him on TV with my mother and brothers and sister.

Today, just hearing his voice can bring a smile to my face. :)
Randy Sparks, who wrote the song, was Burl's writer and opening act for 30 years until Burl's death in 1995.

Burl loved this song. He'd walk into the room and say, "Sing it!" Randy never had to ask what he meant.

In 2006 I arranged for Randy to provide the entertainment for a fly-in of the Pacific Bonanza Society in Vancouver WA. He told some good Burl Ives stories that night.

Nice article. Did the obligatory photo at Four Corners. The drive there was interesting, this was done shortly after most of Covid restrictions were lifted, but things were really slow to reopen.

Top Bottom