What's new

Insurance

I suggested Avemco...

Even Avemco? They say that they don't pay attention to age ...
But I think you have to get old with them or be a former customer with a good history. I kept getting renewal invitations, and finally called them. I asked the underwriter point blank, "I just turned 80, are you really willing to insure me?" We had the discussion, and I got the impression that if you wait until you are unable to get insured elsewhere, you won't get it there, either. I had insured with them for about 12 years, but they wouldn't give me a reasonable quote on a 1929 Waco Taperwing, so I found a broker that would. (They are not friendly with antiques of any kind apparently.) Interestingly, after 80 I asked for liability only on the same airplane - no problem. So full insurance on a taildragger and liability on an antique at 80. I didn't get the impression they would do a retract though. They don't do rotorcraft either.

That depends on exactly what Avemco's "standard" policy is. I thought $1MM / $100K was standard in aviation. At least, it's common.

My broker shops around and for the past several years Old Republic always has the best deal. With $105k hull value the premium is $875. Add to that:
$1M / $100K: $211
$1M / $200K: $387
$1M smooth: $610
Another year, another update. This year's quote is essentially the same as last year's.
$105k hull value: $873
$1M / $100K: $210
$1M / $200K: $385
$1M smooth: $606
That makes 873 + 606 = $1,479 for $1M smooth.

Tied down outside at KBFI Seattle. I have 1420 hours and flew 90 last year, no incidents etc.

Top Bottom