What's new

Raising Flaps just before Touch down.

Is this a theoretical thought experiment about AoA and physics? Or is it seeking practical advice?
The practical advice: don't do that.
The physics discussion: what kind of flaps? how much flap being raised? what kind of airplane?

So many times in the past, i have found myself in my 172 in a nose up attitude just above the ground....

just floating and floating and floating and floating, and then i catch a wind that gets my plane off center line and "just plane funky" in general, and a seemingly "unknowable (time of) touchdown"

I've found raising a single "1 mississippi count" of electric flaps just when i have my plane exactly where i want it, just barely above the runway, results in a touchdown basically immediately following, and a stay down.

No more bouncing, no more seemingly hour long unexpected floats just above the runway.

They have been some of my smoothest most predictable landings.

Was curious if anyone else enjoyed the same.

Last edited:
So many times in the past, i have found myself in my 172 in a nose up attitude just above the ground.... just floating and floating and floating and floating, and then i catch a wind that gets my plane off center line and "just plane funky" in general, and a seemingly "unknowable (time of) touchdown"
That means you are too fast.

I've found raising a single "1 mississippi count" of electric flaps just when i have my place exactly where i want it, just barely above the runway, results in a touchdown basically immediately following, and a stay down.
A better (simpler, safer) solution is to slow down. In most 172s, try 60 kts on short final which will put you around 55 kts in the flare. If you don't hear the stall horn in the flare just before the wheels touch, you're too fast.

That means you are too fast.

A better (simpler, safer) solution is to slow down. In most 172s, try 60 kts on short final which will put you around 55 kts in the flare. If you don't hear the stall horn in the flare just before the wheels touch, you're too fast.

You beat me to it!

For me, a normal landing in my 1965G 172 is 68MPH on short final and 63MPH over the numbers. If you do the math, my numbers are almost exactly the same as the ones quoted just above. :)

I have heard of people using that technique for spot landing competitions, but even for that it is inferior to a good stabilized approach without excess airspeed.

I make that statement based on watching some spot landing competitions. The winners fly slow airplanes slowly on approach. And touch down within two feet of the landing target line. With practice, in any small Cessna you can get within 50 feet.

I think it's especially useful -- and, yes, fun -- to practice that kind of spot landing when doing power-off 180s or simulated engine outs. If the chips are down, being able to put a plane down in a 500' piece of grass somewhere might well be the difference between a bad day and a really bad day.

I think it's especially useful -- and, yes, fun -- to practice that kind of spot landing when doing power-off 180s or simulated engine outs. If the chips are down, being able to put a plane down in a 500' piece of grass somewhere might well be the difference between a bad day and a really bad day.
Agreed. Though if I had to do that, and succeeded with passengers unharmed & airplane intact, I would call that a great day! Even if the airplane was a total loss because it could not be flown or trucked out and had to be cut apart and destroyed.

Yep!

Top Bottom