What's new

The 5 “Most Iconic” Aviation Photos

Aeromot

Superior Pilot
No, I hadn't seen that Concorde picture before either.

I'll give you the Wright brothers and the Hindenburg, but I don't think the Concorde deserves to be in there. It made no lasting change to aviation and so, I would argue is not "iconic." We could also argue on the definition of "iconic." :)

While the FA-18 is a stunning photo, I'd substitute Chuck Yeager and the X-1. Yeager and the X-1 changed aviation forever and led to the FA-18 photo. I'd also find a place for the Space Shuttle Challenger or Columbia disaster, though it could be argued the Shuttle was not true aviation. I think the Columbia in particular gave impetus to the private space venture industry we see nearly dominating human space flight today.

IMG_0503.jpeg

Barbara Eden And Chuck Yeager During Yeager's Cameo Appearance On I Dream Of Jeannie, 1965.

IMG_0504.jpeg

E. Lilian Todd, Self-Taught Inventor Considered To Be The First Woman In The World To Design And Build Her Own Aircraft, 1909.

I'll give you the Wright brothers and the Hindenburg, but I don't think the Concorde deserves to be in there. It made no lasting change to aviation and so, I would argue is not "iconic." We could also argue on the definition of "iconic." :)

While the FA-18 is a stunning photo, I'd substitute Chuck Yeager and the X-1. Yeager and the X-1 changed aviation forever and led to the FA-18 photo. I'd also find a place for the Space Shuttle Challenger or Columbia disaster, though it could be argued the Shuttle was not true aviation. I think the Columbia in particular gave impetus to the private space venture industry we see nearly dominating human space flight today.

Don't confuse Iconic photos with iconic aviation events. If we say events how can we not include Lindberg at Paris? But there are truly some iconic aviation photos that merely celebrate the wonder that is manned flight.

MPiHfN0.jpeg

Top Bottom